The Socratic Method...
Socrates, the father of modern philosophy, once said "The wise man knows that there is much that he does not know." I've always added the addendum "...and in that respect, I am very wise." But, recently I've found a lot of the things that I've taken for granted in the arena of "things that I know" to be quite different in the light of reality. The states of physical health in some of my friends that I thought far surpassed my own have been shaken to their core. The relationship status of other friends who I thought were made for each other have been ripped asunder before my very eyes. I always thought that as you get older, you learn more, and become smarter. What I'm finding is that as you grow older, you re-learn things that you already thought that you knew, and end up feeling dumber.
I've always been told that I'm a smart kind of guy. My teachers have said it, my family have said it, my friends have said it, but I've never really felt that way. After hearing it so often, it was just easy enough not to try to argue the point, so I gave into all the "labeling." I'll agree that I'm smart, but I don't believe it or see myself in that way. I've always just seen myself as a relatively unremarkable kind of guy. I'm a bit more outgoing and unapologetic about my opinion than your average person, but "smart" has never been a word that I'd default to in an autobiographical sense.
What does that word really mean anyway? I've often said that I'm a "compendium of useless information" because a lot of the facts that I remember aren't very useful throughout the course of a given day. The quadratic formula, all seven modes of a major scale, my phone number from when I was 12 years old, these have all simply been insects caught in the fly paper of my brains memory banks. None of these are useful to me in any real sense.
But, society is all about that far-too-over-utilized "Bell Curve." If you're to the left, then you're "Below Average." If you're on the hump, then you're "Average." If you're to the right, then you're "Above Average." Personally, I've found that either by my unwillingness to conform or my ability to memorize useless data like an interactive, user-friendly thumb-drive, that I've been thrown into the last category for better or for worse. I guess that the best thing to do is simply to make use of what I have been given to the best of my ability and to the most beneficial outcome for humankind. Although, as I say this, I find another quote from Albert Einstein echoing through my mind "I want to know God's thoughts; everything else is just details."

1 Comments:
1) This reminds me of the temporal concept in Buddhism and other eastern philosophies. Each moment is different from all others. What was true in one moment is not necessarily true the next
2) In my teacher training classes I learned something very important. This is a long topic, but I'll try and sum it up as best I can. It is actually harmful to tell children that they are smart. It leads to doubt and eventually undermines self confidence and discourages them from trying new things (Just in case they might be bad at it and prove their admirers wrong. And then they would lose respect, right?)
Praise is still very important, but what kind of praise is important. It is far better to praise a child's ability to learn and continue trying when it is difficult. Then they will not give up when something is not obvious, and will have the belief that they can do anything they put the time into.
3) And reference my comment on your other entry about the definition of smart, also evaluate book smart vs street smart vs philosophy smart vs contentment smart.
I'm reminded of a type of person described in either 'The Tao of Poo' or 'The Te of Piglet' (I recommend both books). One book mentions a kind of person who has little interest in book learning, and is only interested in the simple life. They often do hard labor and the kinds of jobs most of us would not want to do if we had any choice. The author points out that the west looks down on such a person, but many eastern religions see value in them. Food for thought.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home