Saturday, April 2, 2011

The First Amendment: A Writer's Perspective...

All right, the First Amendment does a LOT more good than harm, but the recent harm that it has been exploited to do seems to MORE than make up for the difference. Namely...Alexandra Wallace. For those amongst us NOT familiar with that name (no doubt VERY few in number due the the wildfire her words have strewn across the Internet) she is more frequently referred to as the "UCLA Racist." Feel free to look her up on YouTube.com if you like, but I must warn you she says some VERY offensive things about the Asian people that I personally find appalling.

After watching her VLOG rant disparaging the Asian community as a whole, as well as several response videos to it which range from satirical love songs to near death threats, my opinion has come to be simply this: she is NOT inconsiderate...she's just plain s-t-u-p-i-d...STUPID!!!

You see her main issue in her rant is about Asians talking on the phone in the library and how it is interrupting  
her ability to study and finish having her "epiphany" as she puts it. While I completely agree that it is inconsiderate for ANY person to talk on a cell phone while in the library (or in church, or in a movie theater, or while driving, or anywhere that quiet/concentration is preferred) let's face it, a big-breasted, bottle-blond, blue-eyed, (not to mention clearly racist) white girl is NOT going to be the source of the idea for world peace. This is the ONLY point of semi-agreement that I have with her opinion; pretty much EVERYTHING else she says just falls into the "Completely F@#$ing Stupid" category. If this is the kind of Political Science majors UCLA is churning out these days, then I weep for the future political relations of mankind in general.

But here's the thing...just because I COMPLETELY disagree with her opinion, that doesn't mean that the First Amendment doesn't give her the complete right to say it, and that ALSO doesn't mean that ANYONE can physically hurt her because of it. It's an "All or Nothing" kind of deal; either everything is allowed to be said, or nothing is. The founding fathers built this nation upon the principle that a person cannot be physically harmed for expressing their opinion, and that freedom has given many people a voice that otherwise would have been murdered for expressing what they believe. We, as Americans, have a right to believe in whatever idea that we personally see fit without fear of physical damage because of the First Amendment, and THAT is one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, right that any of us can have.

Finally, I will leave you readers with 2 quotes; the first is attributed to Voltaire, an 18th-century French Enlightenment writer, and the second to Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism. 1) "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." 2) "Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule."

Share on Facebook

1 Comments:

At October 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

1) "let's face it, a big-breasted, bottle-blond, blue-eyed, (not to mention clearly racist) white girl is NOT going to be the source of the idea for world peace." Except for the racist part, why not?

2) Bad publicity is better than no publicity. You can do more harm to her message by ignoring it than by relaying her message and then stating your argument against it. If another person agrees with her they will likely ignore you anyway and feel emboldened to find another person who agrees with them.

3) I don't know if you meditate on questions, but consider the meaning of 'stupid', and for that matter 'smart'. What qualifies such a description? Education? Opinions? Values? Morals? Ability to answer quickly? Answering from your gut, before considering the ramifications? Expressing oneself? Make a list, and then challenge it. I was skeptical, but a random conversation with a wise stranger made things clearer for me to see.

4) Like you, I disagree with her but agree with her right to say it. I'm a firm believer in Voltaire's quote, and am very grateful that his ideas inspired the writers our constitution.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home