Recently, I find
myself thinking of the movie “What Women Want” starring the (now
revealed as an anti-Semite) Mel Gibson opposite Helen Hunt. In this
movie, a man is struck by lightning, and so he gets the ability to
read the mind of all the women around him. This leads him to
understand the best ways in which to manipulate them for the motives
of obtaining sex, outperforming them at work, and eventually falling
in love. While all of these motives are varying degrees of selfish, I
found myself thinking how useful it would be to be able to read the
mind of women for the purposes of enhancing my love life and not for
the conclusions that you all might be jumping to right now.
We live in an
ever-evolving world of complication. The modern incarnation of the
human animal took 6.5 million years to reach its current level of
complication. There was a time-tested vetting process by which traits
inefficient to the perpetuation of our species were weeded out of the
both the geno- and phenotypes. If one of our ancestors possessed a
trait that somehow impeded the passing on of genetic material, then he/she
was summarily eaten by a saber-toothed tiger or what-have-you. So,
it could be argued that the current embodiment of our species has
become the most efficient vehicle to date by which to spread our varying
spectrum of genetically encoded traits to the succeeding generation.
If we accept this premise, then the question becomes “Why are we
still playing mind-games with each other when it comes to the simple
act of meeting for a date?!” If this question seems particularly
pointed, it is.
Yesterday evening,
I showed up to the coffee shop where I had agreed to meet a girl for
an informal coffee date. We found each other on OkayCupid.com, and we
had arranged this date the previous Saturday. Just after we had
confirmed that we would meet there at that time, I entered it into my
calendar on my phone because I didn't want to forget it. All week I
looked forward to meeting her in person. Yesterday morning, I took a
little extra time than normal on my daily, morning, grooming ritual
because I was eager to make a good, first impression. After work and
all of my other daily plans, I wound up arriving at the
coffee shop around 3:00 pm for a date who would not arrive until
sometime after 5 because unlike me she did not have a half day at
work. Being the boy-scout that I am, I brought a few electronic
devices to occupy myself until (what I assumed was) her eminent
arrival. I had made the decision to give her until 6:30 since our
agreed time was non-specific. 7 o'clock rolls around, and there is
still no sign of her, so I go back to OkayCupid and very
diplomatically ask her if we can re-schedule for Monday after work
which is the next time that I'll be in the city. Her verbatim reply
was “Hey! Sorry about that. I wasn't super sure you still wanted to
meet up since I hadn't heard from you.”
Now I have been
branded as a feminist from outside sources because I believe that
there should be no difference in the rights between men and women in
pretty much every facet of our lives. As a side effect, I have come
to understand that the one thing that women don't want men to do is to underestimate them or their motivations, i.e. none of this
“Needing a man to save me and my ineffectual abilities from the
dangerous dragon” mentality. I have learned not only to accept but
also to embrace the notion that women are strong, capable human
beings who deserve all the respect that I would give any man. Over
the centuries women have come to claim their equal share of the
rights and responsibilities of any man; although, until they are paid
equally for the same work, there is still more distance that
needs to be covered. So, my new question becomes “Why is it that I
should assume that a potential mate's attention-span needs re-stoking
every other day or so?” Wouldn't this be a step backwards in all of
the respect and consideration women have so hardly fought for over
the eras?
Perhaps, I am being
too close-minded. Maybe this is not a trait of the entire gender but
just this one woman in particular. The only thing that gives me a
glimpse of the validity of this idea is that I interpret the world
through my own eyes as we all do. Personally, when I make plans (even
a week in advance) I show up. Can I say that this is true of all men?
No. But, isn't needing a man to entice you constantly just the new
form of being a “Damsel in Distress?” As a logical and evolved
species, haven't we all evolved beyond these more basic impulses yet?
I don't claim to have the answers to any of these questions; in fact,
I have always made the joke that if I were ever to understand the
opposite sex completely, then that would be the precise instant when
a bolt of lightning would strike me dead. And since I don't possess
the capacity to read a women's mind, I suppose that I will have to
keep studying this somewhat foreign species in an attempt at least to
understand them a little better.
“I am neither a
feminist nor a masculinist, I am an equalist. The determining factor
for who gets what amount of respect, goods, and opportunities should never be
decided on the basis of something as trivial as which bathroom door
you walk through.”
-The Oft
Forgotten Prophet
Labels: dating, equality, evolution, feminism
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home